Topics

locked Tuning to a external tuner

Egill Ibsen

Is it possible to tune the G90 to a external tuner? I hooked it up to my Stockcorner J4 but I am unable get it to send a tuning note (except turning the internal ATU on of course)? I might have overlooked it in the menu, could there be a FUNC combination? (or should I stick to -USB mode and whistle in the MIC- method)

Chris Chatelain

I switch it to CW and hold down the key to initiate tuning. I hope it's something the developers add, the ability to send a tune signal without using the built in tuner.

--Chris

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 5:37 AM <egillibsen@...> wrote:
Is it possible to tune the G90 to a external tuner? I hooked it up to my Stockcorner J4 but I am unable get it to send a tuning note (except turning the internal ATU on of course)? I might have overlooked it in the menu, could there be a FUNC combination? (or should I stick to -USB mode and whistle in the MIC- method)

Egill Ibsen

I would key it with CW as well, but I only have a paddle at the moment. I agree, hopefully it will be implenented in a future update as well as keying the rig through CAT with the USB/serial cable supplied.

73

On 14 Oct 2019, at 17:34, Chris Chatelain <chris@...> wrote:

I switch it to CW and hold down the key to initiate tuning. I hope it's something the developers add, the ability to send a tune signal without using the built in tuner.

--Chris

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 5:37 AM <egillibsen@...> wrote:
Is it possible to tune the G90 to a external tuner? I hooked it up to my Stockcorner J4 but I am unable get it to send a tuning note (except turning the internal ATU on of course)? I might have overlooked it in the menu, could there be a FUNC combination? (or should I stick to -USB mode and whistle in the MIC- method)

Brett Glass

I have a delta loop which is tuned via an SG-237 outdoor remote tuner. (The Stockcorner JC-4 seems to be similar but is claimed to handle much more power.) Because the SG-237 tunes automatically when it sees 10 watts or more of RF, triggering the rig's internal tuner is sufficient to stimulate the remote tuner to tune, if necessary, as well. Because the two are tuning at the same time and will interact, it can take two tuning cycles before they're both happy, but rarely more than that.

Another option is to turn the rig to CW mode, with at least 10 watts of output power, and key it to trigger the remote tuner. I do this on the "top bands," where the SG-237 has to work harder to tune the loop.

I have attached a green LED to the "tuned" line on the SG-237's control cable. This line is pulled down when the tuner has successfully found a solution, so when I see that light I now I am good to go.

It appears that the Stockcorner JC-4, on the other hand, doesn't just detect RF. It seems to require you to send it a "tune" signal from the rig, or by pushing a button on its control box, and then send it some RF so it can tune. When the light on its control box goes OUT (not on), it's done.

Icom and Kenwood rigs output a "tune" signal, but AFAIK the G90 doesn't have one available. So, to tune up, you will probably have to push the button on the control box at the same time that you transmit a carrier or trigger the internal tuner. You'll probably need to do this each time you change bands.

--Brett Glass WY7BG

At 04:37 AM 10/14/2019, you wrote:

Is it possible to tune the G90 to a external tuner? I hooked it up to my Stockcorner J4 but I am unable get it to send a tuning note (except turning the internal ATU on of course)? I might have overlooked it in the menu, could there be a FUNC combination? (or should I stick to -USB mode and whistle in the MIC- method)

Chris Chatelain

I have a paddle too, I just use the cw menu to stick it into manual mode, and then the dit lever becomes like a straight key and you can hold it down for a continuous tone.

--Chris

Ron Wright

This changing keyer to key is a pain.  Having to go into a menu and back again after tuning.

Might put rig in AM and key it.  Other rigs have RTTY mode that is very useful for tuner tuning and tuning a ext PA, but G90 has only AM that will force putting out a carrier for tuner tuning.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE/R
Hernando Co ARES EC
BSEE