Looks like Radioddity is selling these for $370

Bret KC3DJV

With the latest firmware is this worth it?  Will the next firmware upgrade be significantly better?
It looks so darn sweet, but so many poor reviews. Sigh....

Marc Withasea <marc.hutchins@...>

I see $420 for the GSOC.

Do you use CW ? If so. Then I would not consider it with the current known issues. It's functional IMHO on SSB.

Bret KC3DJV

Thanks for the quick reply Marc!  I got an email with a flash sale promo code bringing the price to 370.

I don’t operate cw, but I do ft8, ft4, and js8.  Does it behave well for those modes?

What do you find is the best aspect of the GSOC?  If I buy one, I would keep it in the shack and take the standard head with me when I operate mobile. Unless there is a voice keyer included in the GSOC, because that would make pota ops MUCH easier!

Thanks again!

Zhihao.VK2NJR

Hi Bret,

I have a G90 and I use it exclusively for FT8. It performed really well. The only issue is that when you transmit, the interference may cause issue with the serial control. Buy a quality FTDI cable and use some choke to rectify this issue. Also, get a cheap USB fan to cool the radio as it gets pretty hot.
Otherwise, I really like this radio and I think it’s a perfect FT8 rig.

jjames700

I just sent my GSOC in last week. Radioddity agreed to exchange it. I hadn't used it in a while. And when I hooked it up, the VFO worked, but the spectrum and waterfall would not change when tuning. I checked all my cables and found no problems. I even updated the firmware on the GSOC again. Still had problems. So, I emailed Radioddity and after exchanging a few emails, they offered to send me a new GSOC. They even sent me ( emailed pdf ) a prepaid UPS shipping label to send mine to them.
The new one is supposed to arrive today.
Hopefully, it won't have any issues.
James
WD5GWY

Bret KC3DJV

Radioddity seems to have pretty good customer service.  Sad that there are issues with the units though.  Please let me know how it goes with the new one.

Thanks!
Bret
KC3DJV

Bret KC3DJV

Thanks Zhihao!

I have the  Xeigu fan stand and I have pretty good cables for the digital modes, so I that should be good.  Does anyone use the Noise reduction or the Voice Keyer?  it looked like the noise reduction worked pretty well on some of the videos.

Thanks again!
-Bret
KC3DJV

jjames700

I found that the Noise reduction on the GSOC actually worked well. But, the Automatic Notch Filter didn't seem to do anything.
James
WD5GWY

Ed AB8OJ

The GSOC does not have ft8, ft4 or js8 built in.  To operate those modes, you would connect your computer to the G90 the same way as if you didn't have the GSOC.  The GSOC adds no value to those modes.
73,
-Ed- AB8OJ_._,_._,_

Bret KC3DJV

I didn't figure it would help with those. I just was letting people know what I already use my G90 for.  Although it does have bpsk31 which could be interesting to play with.

I love digital modes with the G90 and have gotten as far as  New Zealand from Pennsylvania with FT8.  I almost has a complete contact with a Mongolian station but lost them when I was sending their signal report.

I really want the GSOC mostly for ssb.  It would be cool if they could add the others later down the line.

Thanks for the heads up though, it would have been very important for me to know if I wasn't aware.
73
Bret
KC3DJV

Bret KC3DJV

Hopefully the missing notch filter will get resolved in the next firmware update.

jjames700

Bert,
I would wait until after any new firmware is out and confirmed working before buying a GSOC. Plus, you should be aware that Xiegu has quality control issues. I recently exchanged my GSOC because it had become increasingly unresponsive and erratic.
The " new " GSOC that was shipped to me from Louisville, Kentucky, is almost as bad as my old one. Currently, Xiegu and Radioddity's engineers are supposed to be investigating the problems.
We will see. I wouldn't buy a GSOC given it's current, unpredictable quality.
James
WD5GWY

Brett Glass

Based on what I've read here, the GSOC actually takes vital features away from the G90, while adding only a couple of others that are nonessential. Is there any reason for someone like me - who uses the G90 mostly for digital modes and only occasionally for SSB phone or CW - to buy it, even on sale?

--73 de Brett Glass WY7BG

Bret KC3DJV

Brett,
I don't think the the GSOC would help with digital at all, except if you do psk, which it appears to do natively inside the radio.
If they would add FT8, FT4, and JS8Call that would be very interesting and would change the entire conversation.  :-)

73
Bret
KC3DJV

Don Weeks

Edited

The only way I see digital modes being made easier on the GSOC is if they worked over bluetooth and I don't see that happening.

Well per the GSOC V1,3 release there is now a Blue Tooth serial port added..
See attachments..
Working on updating mine...

Jeff
WA1WXL

Mike Fox

I'm using digital modes exclusively (including some morse here and there) and I'm developing a JS8 client / server solution for emergency communications workgroups. I bought my G90's as a cheap alternative to other radios since I needed a few to experiment with. When the GSOC was announced I immediately signed up for a beta unit to have a larger display and because I was mislead to believe it had a well engineered USB serial / sound card interface making the cable spaghetti less frustrating when going field portable.

When I read the released tech specs and got feedback from other early-birds, I realized that the GSOC really was a totally useless product, actually making the cable spaghetti even worse, not providing a 'single USB' connection, F-ing up CW capabilities and introducing a lot of bugs / problems / beta-feeling, not least with the IQ signals - I immediately canceled my order and I haven't even looked at the progress until now. Seeing where the project stands now I'm happy I saved those funds for something useful instead.

It's pretty obvious that Xiegu is a very small operation. Now they have a new radio in the pipeline and all firmware fix / improvement resources are allocated to development of new firmware for the latest product. This while we still have a G90 with VITAL firmware flaws (basic functionality missing). I'm foremost referring to the lack of ATU control via CAT which to me is a real issue since I used my G90's with remote control - and a way to download the memories to the computer. This is BASICS and I can't see any technical reason for this not being implemented. At least not the lacking CAT functionality if they have ran out of memory, which I doubt.

The G90 seems to be a relatively solid hardware platform but I'm afraid it will be lacking in functionality until a serious open-source project is launched. The refusal from Xiegu to release technical documentation to facilitate repairs tells me to stay away from future Xiegu products. Sadly.

/Mike 🦊

art upton

I have found the GSOC adds no real value. The only workable mode PSK31 was way to hard to use to be productive as CW on the GSOC RX was worse to use then the native G90.
If you want a waterfall, and data , hook the G90 up to a 96K sound card and HDSDR and Fldigi running on a signal link to a cheap laptop or Pi. less then half the cost.